Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The 12 Days of Christmas Hoax

Given that in my last post and the newsletter column this week, I wrote about 12 Days of Christmas, I feel the need to make this request: Please do not send me an e-mail that purports to tell the true secret meaning behind the song, the 12 Days of Christmas!

I get this every year and I have bad news for you folks. It's not true! Every year well-meaning people send me e-mails telling how during the persecution of the Catholics by Protestants or the persecution of Protestants by Catholics some time in England the persecuted group developed this song as code for their beliefs that they could sing to one another.

I know, I know, it would make more sense if it were true. Lords-a-Leaping, anyone? But it's not. So please spare me the details.

Don't believe me? Click here.

Grace and Peace,

Chase

No comments: