Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Worship Bulletin Quotation

Keeping with my intention expressed in my last post, here's the quotation from this past Sunday's worship bulletin. This one was in honor of Father's Day:

“It has become so commonplace to speak of God as “our Father” that we forget what an extraordinary metaphor it once was.”

--Frederick Buechner
Whistling in the Dark: An ABC Theologized

I almost went with the following quotation:

"My father left my home when I was young, so when I was introduced to the concept of God as Father I imagined Him as a stiff, oily man who wanted to move into our house and share a bed with my mother. I can only remember this as a frightful and threatening idea. . . Today I wonder why it is God refers to Himself as "Father" at all. This, to me, in light of the earthly representation of the role seems a marketing mistake. Why would God want to call Himself Father when so many fathers abandon their children?"
--Donald Miller
Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality

Grace and Peace,

Chase

No comments: