Thursday, January 29, 2009

Praying to the "tiny infant baby Jesus"

This past Sunday I preached on Jesus' calling his disciples in the Gospel of Mark. I was making the point that this Jesus is not a Jesus that we can control or a Jesus that asks little if anything of us. To illustrate the point I mentioned the hilarious scene from Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby where Ricky Bobby (played by Will Ferrel) prays to "baby Jesus" (watch the video) because that's the Jesus he prefers--the cute one from Christmas--and that the rest of his family can pray to whatever Jesus they want to pray to. Like Ricky Bobby, we may prefer the precious baby Jesus laying in a manger to the Jesus that asks us to follow him and make sacrifices if need be to demonstrate God's love to others.

I confessed that I took that illustration from a sermon by Julie-Pennington Russell, the pastor of First Baptist Church, Decatur, GA. I guess I was too busy snorting and guffawing when I saw Talledega Nights to think about sermons, but I wish I had, because it's a good one. You can read Pennington-Russell's sermon on-line--it's worth a look.

Also, I mentioned that because First Baptist Decatur called her as its minister it has been kicked out of the Georgia Baptist Convention which opposes female minister. Such sexism is a reminder for me why I left Baptist life, but the church's actions calling the best minister for them regardless of gender is a lesson about the cost that may come when you choose to pursue the justice of Christ that transcends the ignorance and sexism of some Christians.

Grace and Peace,

Chase

No comments: