Friday, July 10, 2009

Yes, Ghana Can!

My ONE bracelet got pretty shabby, so after about seven years of wearing it, I took it off earlier this year. I still care, however, about what the organization founded to fight extreme poverty around the world stands for. ONE was founded by a hero of mine--Bono--lead singer of my favorite band, U2.

Bono's got an op-ed in today's NYT about President Obama's trip to Ghana and speech that will take place tomorrow morning our time. It's well worth a read. I went to Ghana in 2001 and it changed my life. That trip helped me decide that I needed to be a minister in a local church. It's an amazing country and unlike so many horror stories in West Africa, Ghana is stable and thriving. (Take a look at the video ONE has produced for the occasion of Obama's visit to Ghana. It will give you a taste of this beautiful country.)

The op-ed is also worth reading, because Bono reminds us our debt to Africa as the birthplace of us all. That fact has not changed, even though Western nations have raped it of natural resources for centuries. Bono references the great theology of Desmond Tutu called ubuntu--"I am because we are."

He asks the question: "Could it be that all Americans are, in that sense, African-Americans?"

Grace and Peace,

Chase

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hehe. I use a Linux distribution called Ubuntu.