Thursday, May 27, 2010

Our Common Humanity

Last Sunday was Pentecost Sunday, and I preached from Acts 2 about how God's spirit binds all people together and resists dichotomies of us/them making only a "WE."  Specifically, I felt this was relevant for discussions of immigration reform and the dehumanization of people from Mexico and Central America who have come here looking for a better life for their families and loved ones.

Along those same lines, I highly recommend the post on the Sojourners blog from Marcus Hummon that explains a song he wrote about an illegal immigrant forced into the sex trade.  I had the good fortune to hear Hummon speak and sing at a conference I was at last week.  He's written some big hits for the Dixie Chicks, Rascal Flatts and others.  His wife, Becca Stevens, is an Episcopal chaplain who started a ministry to women who are involved in the sex trade, which is how he met the subject of his song.

Grace and Peace,

Chase

No comments: