Friday, March 28, 2014

Recommended Reading 3.28.30 edition

Each week I send out a weekly e-mail of my thoughts to folks in my church.  I include in it what I found worth reading in the past week.  Here's this week's recommended reading:

Here's some stuff I found meaningful to read this past week: 
  •  As a minister and a father of two boys, I really want my kids to grow up seeing a side of Christianity that is willing to take risks for the sake of others in need.  So, I could really identify with this column by Timothy Tutt, a friend of mine from seminary who happens to be the pastor of the UCC church Linda Kroencke belonged to in Maryland.  I think the title says it all: "I Broke the Law With My Son (for Jesus)."    
  • Have you noticed that the business leaders, ministers, politicians and Supreme Court Justices most upset about the Affordable Care Act making insurers pay for female contraceptives tend to be men?   There's a reason for that, as this article demonstrates.  
  • More thoughts about the hateful legacy of Fred Phelps: "Fred Phelps May Be Dead But His Fundamentalist God Still Lives" and  "This Man is the Future of Westboro Baptist Church
  • Have you been watching the new reboot of the TV show Cosmos?  It's a cool show, but it perpetuates the simplistic version of history that says the Enlightenment was all about overcoming the superstitions of the western Church.  In reality, then as now there are plenty of people of faith who embrace science and critical thinking.  The idea that all religion equals ignorance gets pretty tiresome. 
  • Sometimes it takes an atheist to point out the inadequacy of much of Christianity's views of heaven and hell.  (Alright, what this author says has actually been said before by Christians, but I do like the way she tackles the bad theology of the after life espoused by many Christians.)
  • Desmond Tutu on forgiveness.  Enough said. 
  • What is success?  What if we defined it in terms other than money and celebrity?  Alain De Botton redefines success in this TED Talk. 

  • If you want more recommended reading from me, follow me on Facebook or Twitter.

No comments: