Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Are You Anxious About My Sermon This Sunday? (Dialogue Column 1.22.08)

The Dialogue is the newsletter of First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in St. Joseph, MO. Oftentimes, I'll post here on the blog my columns for the weekly newsletter. I mention it just so that folks who read the snail-mail version can skip this post if they've already read it.

This Sunday, I will preach a sermon entitled “What Should Christians Learn From the Iraq War?” I have already picked up on a few members’ anxiety over the fact that I will be preaching about the war. Therefore, I think that I should confess that I am anxious about it too.

This is such an emotional topic that touches nearly every part of our culture—political, social, religious, etc.—that no matter what is said, someone is bound to be bothered or even offended by it. Such is the nature of discourse in our country at this time in our history. I believe, however, that we Christians are not called to shy away from controversial topics just because they are controversial. Since we claim to be followers of Jesus who showed no hesitation confronting difficult issues, we do not have the luxury of avoiding the same.

Moreover, I believe that we are a community of believers that is well-suited to discussing and even acting upon the complex problems of today. As a Disciples congregation, we are a free church where there is no expectation or demand that all members of a church should be of the same mind about troubling issues. First Christian in particular is a church that celebrates diversity of belief and opinion. We pride ourselves on being able to sit around the same table with others, without the demand that we all sign off on a checklist of political or doctrinal statements. If a church like ours cannot discuss the deep religious and ethical concerns raised by the war in Iraq, then I wonder what church could.

Nonetheless, I do not approach this Sunday’s sermon in a cavalier fashion. I would prefer to give a sermon that everyone can agree about and no one would be bothered by. I know, however, that sermons that make no one uncomfortable are most likely sermons that fail to wrestle adequately with the demands of the Gospel. I also know that there is a difference between presenting a message with humility, even though it may trouble some, and abusing my authority as minister by claiming that my belief must be shared by my congregation. The good news on that front is that even were I to demand that everyone agree with me, the reality is that the good people of First Christian would never stand for it. That is as it should be.

As we approach this Sunday, let me state a few things up front that may ease both your anxiety and mine:

1. You are free to disagree with me, not only this Sunday but any and every Sunday I preach. I am ready and willing to hear any criticism or counterargument to any point I make, provided it is offered in the spirit of open dialogue and Christian love.

2. I do not approach this issue lightly but personally. Just like many of you, I have both friends and family who either are serving or have served in Iraq. So far, I have not had to attend a funeral for someone whom I love who has died in Iraq, but the possibility remains a real one for me.

3. I am doing my best not to approach the Iraq War and the issues raised by it from a partisan position. The bumper sticker on our family van reads: “God is not a Republican or a Democrat.” That is something I believe wholeheartedly. I have my own political beliefs and preferences which are probably obvious, but I do my best to make up my own mind instead of allowing my mind to be made for me.

4. Perhaps most importantly, you should know that I feel this sermon is a necessary one. I have prayed about and thought long and hard about whether or not I should preach a sermon about the war. I have decided that the issues raised by this war are so profound and the ethical demands of Christ’s teaching so relevant to this conflict that I simply must speak what I believe to be true. Whether you realize it or not, that is part of what you obligated me to when you called me as your minister. I understood that obligation when I accepted your call.

This week, I would appreciate your thoughts and prayers as I prepare this sermon. I also hope that you will come this Sunday with an open mind and the confidence that we as a church can not only discuss difficult issues but grow in our faith through the exchange of different points of view.

Grace and Peace,

Chase

No comments: