Tuesday, July 15, 2008

3 Reasons Why a Church Community Matters (Dialogue Column 7.15.08)

The Dialogue is the newsletter of First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in St. Joseph, MO. Often, I'll post here on the blog my columns for the weekly newsletter. I mention it just so that folks who read the snail-mail version can skip this post if they've already read it.

In Paul's letters he refers to koinonia, what is often translated as “fellowship,” but we have domesticated the word “fellowship” in American Christianity, so the translation doesn't really do the term justice. A better translation would be something like “the spiritual bonds that exist between people in a church and that remind them of their God-given worth.” Granted my definition doesn't roll off the tongue, but it at least doesn't reduce koinonia to something like polite conversation.

This past week, I had three encounters that reminded me why the koinonia of a church can truly make a difference in a person's life:

1. A w hile back, I wrote a letter to the editor regarding imagery used in a political ad, and after it was published, I got a phone call from a stranger who was amazed that there was a minister in town who would take that kind of stand. He was grateful for it and even sent a small donation to the church. He died this week, and unbeknowst to me, he was friends with a member of First Christian. Since he and his family did not have a church and were not religious, the member suggested to his widow that I officiate the funeral here at First Christian. The widow was grateful to have the church's help but still suspicious that I might try to “convert” her and her family at the funeral. Once I reassurred her that I only wanted to help her and honor her husband, she relaxed and felt safe enough to simpy feel grateful for the care of a church in a time of grief.

2. A member of our church who had not been active for some time called last week, because her mother was dying. Her mother was a life-long member of a Disciples church, so her daughter thought she would like communion one last time. I was out of town, but one of our elders brought them communion and demonstrated the grace of God through her presence. When I returned to town and went to pray with the family by their loved one's death bed, they expressed appreciation for the church's care. Their loved one died the morning after my visit.

3. On Sunday morning at the close of the service, one of our members, Rick Ezzell, shared with the congregation his gratitude for their care for him and his family following the death of his wife Karen several months ago. With tears in his eyes, Rick thanked them for their prayers and visits. He testified to how a faith community can offer support to those who walk through the most difficult circumstances in life.

Each of these cases exhibits the power of relationships which remind people that they matter. Whether our church cares for its own active members, folks who have become no longer active in the church or people who have no church connection at all, we exhibit the koinonia of God and lives are changed.

Grace and Peace,

Chase

No comments: