Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Wisdom of Kathleen Norris

This morning, I also made use of some thoughts by Kathleen Norris, specifically a chapter on faith in her book, Amazing Grace: A Vocabulary of Faith. It was from this chapter entitled "Belief, Doubt and Sacred Ambiguity" that I took my sermon title (I'm not sure if I mentioned that, so I cite my source here.)

In this book and A Cloister Walk, she details her conversion from skeptic to believer in terms that I feed deeply appealing. In the chapter I made use of today, she speaks about belief being misunderstood as referring only to what we think, when istead it should be what we think, do, feel, etc. She writes that belief is not merely intellectual rather it is incarnational--it involves all of our selves. She offers some very stirring examples of how being a part of community enabled her to overcome some of her doubts and live with others.

For me, Norris offers us the wisdom that God can transform us when we choose to be a part of a community of faith that nurtures, accepts and welcomes all. We have two copies of Norris' Amazing Grace in the church library and it's available cheap online, so pick up a copy and have a read.

Grace and Peace,

Chase

No comments: