Monday, March 9, 2009

The Whole World is a Ghetto

As I mentioned in my last post, Sunday morning I found music very meaningful and spiritual--that could be because the rest of my family was out of town and my house was quiet as I prepared for church, but of course the sound of little voices and feet is also spiritual in its own way too.

Not only was my trip to church a spiritual experience thanks to U2 playing on my iPod, but thanks to NPR I also felt quite moved while getting ready to head out the door. NPR aired an interview with India Arie, whom I've liked for some time but never gotten around to buying one of her albums. Her words, thoughts and ultimately her voice and song were more than powerful. Her mission statement for her music and life is "to spread love, healing and peace through the power of words and music." (That'll preach!) She sang one of the tracks off her new album, Testimony: Vol. 2, Love and Politics, titled "Ghetto" and it is amazing.

To be hungry in L.A.
Is just like starving in Bombay.
Homeless in Morocco,
Is a shelter in Chicago.
Right around the corner, Just down the road.
Right before your eyes,
Right under your nose.

Hey, the ghetto-o-o-o
Might as well be another country
Barrio-o-o-o,
Might as well be another country.
When you look around,
You live in another country too (too).

Now the dictionary says,
That the ghetto is a place
Of minority, and poverty, and over population.
We live on this earth together, ain't no separation.
When you're looking down,
From outer space.
We’re just a human race and the world is a

Ghetto-o-o-o,
Listen every place and every country.
Barrio-o-o-o,
it's in every place and every country.
When you look around,
Do you see your brother when you
Look around?
it's a small world after all.
Look around,
You live in another country too

I was very pleased to find her new album on sale via digital download for a mere $5 at Amazon and quickly downloaded it to my iPod. Now I'm grooving to her smooth R&B and Reggae vibe and enjoying her songs about romantic love and social justice. This one is a keeper.

Grace and Peace,

Chase

No comments: