Friday, March 11, 2011

The Best Criticism of Rep. King's Hearings on Islam and Terrorism

While serving a church on Long Island, I came to know a number of the leaders at the Islamic Center of Long Island through interfaith events they sponsored.  I found them to be thoughtful, hospitable, open-minded, peaceful and dedicated to building bridges to people of other faiths in a spirit of graciousness.  The Muslims I came to know were loyal Americans who were grateful to be in a country where they could practice their faith in freedom and safety.  At that time, I also came to know Rep. Peter King who routinely attacked Muslims following 9-11, including members of the Islamic Center of Long Island, and painted Muslims in simplistically broad and dangerously xenophobic ways.

So, I was not surprised but still saddened to hear that King, now the chairperson of the Homeland Security committee, has begun conducting hearings regarding the radicalization of American Muslims in a manner that also paints with far too broad a brush and is dangerously xenophobic.

There's been a lot of criticism of King and his hearings from a number of sources, including Christian clergy and leaders, but the best by far I've read is by Melissa Rogers in the Washington Post today.  Rogers is the daughter of one of my seminary professors and she is by far one of the leading experts on church/state issues and the First Amendment's treatment of religion.  I strongly encourage all thoughtful people to read it.

No comments: