On a more or less regular basis, I share my thoughts with the congregation I serve including a list of links to stuff I think are worth reading, watching and listening to. Here's the latest list:
Responses to Killings of Dallas Police Officers and the killings of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile
- The best explanation I've seen regarding why the phrase "Black Lives Matter" is necessary and "All Lives Matter" misses the point.
- Another good explanation of what's wrong with saying "All Lives Matter" in response to "Black Lives Matter" by one of the founders of the BLM movement
- 9 (tweetable) things I learned from #BlackLivesMatter by UCC minister Tim Tutt, who is a friend of mine since seminary days
- Did a Fear of Slave Revolts Drive American Independence?--The headline is sort of inflammatory but this certainly showed me things I was clueless about concerning the founding of our nation.
- "All the Greedy Young Abigail Fishers and Me"--The Supreme Court case over U. Texas' admissions policy was not about law but rather white privilege.
- "A Year After the Charleston Church Shooting, What Has Changed?"--by Religion News Service--includes a great quote from UCC minister Jeremy Rutledge who happens to be a friend of mine since seminary
- "The Hate That Remains, A Year After Charleston"--in "The New Yorker"
Social JusticeLaw Enforcement in the KC AreaLGBTQ
- If I Have Gay Children (Four Promises From A Christian Pastor and Parent)
- 9 LGBTQ Books for Kids
- The Transgender flag flew over St. Louis City Hall this past Monday.
- 15 Ways to Celebrate 'Heterosexual Pride Day'--satirical article with ideas like "come out to your parents as straight"
- New Miss Missouri is the first openly gay woman to win the crown
- UCC leader speaks out against Supreme Court inaction on immigration
Presidential Election and Religion
- The Theology of Donald Trump--Written by a Republican who has served in the last three Republican presidential administrations, so I was a bit surprised to read it and discover I agreed with every single word of it. An incredible and articulate piece of writing.
America and Violence
- 'Star Wars' and the Fantasy of American Violence--What an incredible essay by an Iraq war veteran about the American myth of redemptive violence and we should really be celebrated on July 4.
- "The Only Thing Jesus 'Open Carried' was the Cross"--a minister confronts the gun industry
Hunger and Food Deserts
- Pioneering businessman still feeds a Kansas City neighborhood--what a freaking great story!
Misc. Stuff I think is Cool
- "Being Lost, Being Found"--great thoughts about the overused Christian term "lost"
- I've followed the story of the so-called "Gospel of Jesus' Wife" and always thought its story was fishy. A reporter for "The Atlantic" tracked down the story of its provenance. It's an interesting read. Thanks to this article, scholars who thought this apocryphal gospel was real have now declared it a clever forgery.
- Why kids can learn more from tales of fantasy than realism
You can find more stuff that I think is worth reading, watching and listening to by following me on Facebook and Twitter.