Regularly, if somewhat spasmodically, I share a list of things I'm reading, watching and listening to with my congregation. If I remember to do so, I also post it here on my blog:
United Church of Christ
- If you haven't subscribed to the UCC Daily Devotional, I highly recommend you do so. I got something out of this one called "Never Give Up" by UCC minister Anthony Robinson. You can get daily thoughts like this in your e-mail inbox.
- Wow! Stop what you're doing and listen to this podcast ("Four Bullets" by the Kind World Podcast).. What a powerful story of grace!!! A man shoots up a mosque and is forgiven and befriended by the Muslims who worship there. (It might be mind-blowing if you do not know a Muslim personally.)
- Holy crap! This episode of Malcolm Gladwell's podcast "Revisionist History" is a mind-blowing discussion of Brown v. Board of Ed. Supreme Court decision. I've never heard anything but good things about it, and had no idea how condescending and racist its language was towards black people. De-segregation may have integrated students but it destroyed black teachers and administrators--exposing black kids to generations of overt and even unconscious racism at school.
- "A Higher Minimum Wage is Not Doing What Its Critics Said It Would Do"--recent studies from Seattle, which raised its minimum wage, show higher wages are not resulting in fewer jobs
- Steve Kraske has a second editorial about changing the name of the J.C. Nichols fountain on the Plaza due to Nichols' racism and the damage that the segregation he fostered has caused Kansas City. In this editorial, he responds to critics.
Other Stuff I Think is Cool
- "How Do We Avoid Becoming Numb in the Face of Online Tragedy and Violence?"--A good list of suggestions for "digital self-care" is at the end of this article.