Regularly, if somewhat spasmodically, I share a list of things I'm reading, watching and listening to with my congregation. If I remember to do so, I also post it here on my blog:
United Church of Christ
- "Religious leaders protest bathroom bill"--at the Texas statehouse religious leaders gathered to protest the new transgender bathroom law--UCC clergy were prominent among them
- "The Inner Life of Rebellion"--The history of rebellion is rife with excess and burnout. But new generations have a distinctive commitment to be reflective and activist at once, to be in service as much as in charge, and to learn from history while bringing very new realities into being. Quaker wise man Parker Palmer and journalist and entrepreneur Courtney Martin come together for a cross-generational conversation about the inner work of sustainable, resilient social change.
- "Fewer Immigrants Mean More Jobs? Not So, Economists Say"--I know this piece is by the "failing" NY Times and therefore won't change any conservative minds, but still.
- "Editorial: NAACP travel advisory - is Missouri the new Mississippi?"--The NAACP travel advisory for MO may seem unfair to folks who do their best to not be racist, however stats show black drivers are 75 percent more likely to be pulled over than white drivers. The Show Me State has issues to deal with.
- "Here's Why the NAACP Issued Its First-Ever Travel Advisory for a U.S. State"--Time magazine's take on this story
Other Stuff I Think is Cool
- "Peter Berger: Sociology's Defender of God (1929-2017)"--Interesting piece about Peter Berger. His understanding of social construction of reality remains an foundational idea for my own faith, both its limitations and its power.
- "Seth Meyers' Breakdown Of Trump's Spirituality Will Make You Cringe"
You can find more stuff that I think is worth reading, watching and listening to by following me on Facebook and Twitter.