Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Obama: Preaching to the Choir

Barack Obama spoke last week to the national meeting of the United Church of Christ. Obama belongs to a UCC church in Chicago and is on the campaign trail so it was a nice fit. The UCC has a special relationship with our denomination, Disciples of Christ, and its the denomination I came out of when I came to First Christian, St. Joseph. I'm pretty sure there were more than a few Disciples in the audience.

He had some interesting and dramatic things to say about his own faith. His testimony apparently even impressed conservative Christian commentators. (Check out the article by Terry Mattingly on how Obama's speech played with Pat Roberton's CBN.)

You also can watch a video on-line of Obama's speech at the UCC web site. (There are also videos of speeches by folks like Peter Gomes, Bill Moyers, Marian Wright Edelman and others.)

I have to admit that I really like Obama. He's got his share of campaign gaffes and goofs--what he calls "rookie mistakes", and he is a politician after all, but his speeches--especially his discussion of faith--touch me in a way that seems far more genuine th at what else is being said out on the campaign trail.

Here's an excerpt from his speech from the Boston Globe:

"Faith got hijacked, partly because of the so-called leaders of the Christian Right, all too eager to exploit what divides us," the Illinois senator said.

"At every opportunity, they've told evangelical Christians that Democrats disrespect their values and dislike their church, while suggesting to the rest of the country that religious Americans care only about issues like abortion and gay marriage, school prayer and intelligent design," according to an advance copy of his speech.

"There was even a time when the Christian Coalition determined that its number one legislative priority was tax cuts for the rich," Obama said. "I don't know what Bible they're reading, but it doesn't jibe with my version."

We shall see if my high opinion of Obama remains as the campaign season wears on.

Grace and Peace,

Chase

2 comments:

James said...

So, Rev Peep...you are in favor of a pro-late term abortion democrat who supports the murder of innocent babies? Is this truly a conservative Christian stance? I'm curious, because as far as I read in scripture, the sanctity of life is not overlooked when it comes to the year 2007 because the culture has no reverence for it.

revpeep said...

James,

First, thanks for your comment. Second, you should know that I never claimed to be a "conservative" Christian in the way you apparently are using the term. Third, I would question your use of the term "pro-life." I would offer that truly having reverence for human life means opposing war and all forms of violence--including violence committed with the aid of widely available guns, combotting poverty--especially extreme poverty at home and abroad that contributes to death from malnutrition and treatable diseases, supporting policies that make available health care to those who do not have access to it--including drugs to fight AIDS in Africa and elsewhere, etc. etc. etc. What about the sanctity of the lives of the children who are born into poverty or to parents who do not want them? What about women who feel they have no viable economic means to even give birth to a child much less raise one--are their lives not sacred too? Would you support the use of condoms and birth control if it meant fewer unplanned pregnancies and abortions? Don't get me wrong, I am no supporter of abortion--in fact I know few people who consider having an abortion a good thing--but I believe that all lives are sacred. Until, I meet a so-called "pro-life" supporter who is willing to fight death in all its forms, I'm just not interested in what they have to say. And yes, I'll support a candidate who is willing to work for life on more than one issue.