Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Letter From a Church Member in News-Press

In today's St. Joseph News-Press, there is a letter from one of our church members, Mike Edwards. He points out that a letter printed in yesterday's edition about Barack Obama was copied from an e-mail full of unsubstantiated information. Not only did Mike catch a bogus letter, he actually got an apology out of the News-Press. Wow!

Given the amount of bogus stuff being e-mailed this election season--from both sides of the political spectrum--I would like to think that I would be a big enough person and concerned enough with the truth that I would object to the publication of any false accusations. Whether or not I would actually be that fair, I don't know. That's worth pondering--after all, the truth really does matter, no matter how it affects one's own candidate of choice. I believe that the problem today with our political system is that there are too many people willing to win at any cost, no matter what the truth may or may not be. I hope that I'm not one of them.

No comments: