Wednesday, October 1, 2008

New Sermon on Church Web Site

This fall I've been trying to do a better job of having my sermons available, but I'm about a month behind. Last week, I put on the church web site my September 7 sermon on forgiveness: Forgive but Don't Forget. The sermon is based on Matthew 18:21-35, which includes Jesus' saying about forgiving "seventy times seven" or "seven times seven" depending on your choice of translation. It also includes the so-called parable of "the unmerciful servant." In the sermon, I relate a story told by Sister Helen Prejean in her book Dead Man Walking about the father whose son was murdered by a death row inmate the nun worked with. As I say in my footnote, I haven't read Prejean's book. (I did see the movie which differs from the book for the sake of adapting it into a movie.) I got the story from a commentary on this scripture passage in The Christian Century. You can read that article on-line.

No comments: