A Great Blog Post by CCCUCC Associate Minister Bethany Meier
- "30 Issues in 30 Weeks: Facing Whiteness"--If you're confused by the idea of "white privilege" or wonder why Trump's appeal to "law and order" causes outrage among African Americans, this is an incredible overview of the history of race in our political discourse. Particularly upsetting is the audio of Lee Atwater--Republican campaign manager for Reagan and Geourge H. W. Bush admitting on tape that whites have to use "coded language" to keep incite white resentment, since "you can't use the word N----- anymore". They spent a whole week on this, so it's worth listening to the segments on "whiteness" in education, "whiteness" and multiracial people and how the presidential candidates are dealing with "whiteness."
Black Lives Matter
- "To My White Church Family: Do We Not Have Ears to Hear?"--Anika Hickman, who has attended our church over the last year along with her son Kahlil and daughter Sage shared this blog post with me. I thought I would pass it along. I can relate to a lot in this. Can you?
- "A plea to my white Christian friends: Please donâ€™t say All Lives Matter"--powerful words that I empathize with
- "If Your Pastor Says 'Racism Isn't A Skin Problem, It's A Sin Problem,' You Need To Find Another Church"--worth reading
- "Teaching through tears in Tulsa after a studentâ€™s dad is killed by police"--Powerful post by a teacher in Tulsa and how her black students are dealing with the police shooting of an unarmed black man.
- "Why We are Protesting in Charlotte" by William Barber II--I referenced this op-ed in last Sunday's sermon--Look beyond the riotous actions of a few and read what the overwhelming number of protesters are really protesting--nonviolently about.
- "Charlotte is Drowning in Systematic Injustice" by Rev. William Barber II--As usual, media, pundits, politicians and white people missing the point of what's happening in Charlotte and why.
- "New Report: Poor Americans of Color Drink Filthy Water and Breathe Poisonous Air All the Damn Time"--The zip code you live in determines your life expectancy. This is one big reason why.
- "Read President Obama's Speech at the Museum of African American History and Culture"--thanks to CCCUCC member Madeline Prelogar for sending this to me
Sexism and Patriarchy
- "How Pop Culture Tells Women to Shut Up"--If I had a daughter, I would study this article carefully. Even though I don't have a daughter, because I care about girls and women, I also study this article carefully.
- "I'm the gay son of a preacher man. When I came out to Dad, he was perfect"--In my ministry I get to hear a lot of sad and painful stories of LGBTQ folks coming out to their parents. When parents reject their LGBTQ kids, religion--specifically Christianity--seems like the dominant factor. It's nice to read a story where a parent (who happens to be a minister) demonstrates love and grace to his own child.
Misc. Stuff I think is Cool
- "Bill Murray's Dharma Talk on What It's Like to Be You"--I guess we should have guessed that Bill Murray was a pretty deep spiritual guy. This proves it.
You can find more stuff that I think is worth reading, watching and listening to by following me on Facebook and Twitter.