Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Recommended Reading and Listening 10-7-16 edition


Regularly, if somewhat spasmodically, I share a list of things I'm reading, watching and listening to with my congregation.  If I remember to do so, I also post it here on my blog:

2016 Election
White Privilege
  • Wow, this is really powerful writing by a "light-skinned" black woman who is often perceived to be white about the way she encounters racism depending on what "race" white people perceive her to be.
Black Lives Matter
LGBTQ
  • Interesting interview with a lawyer specializing in LGBTQ relationships that talks about issues such as taxes, social security and other legal issues. Although the law is the same for straight and same gender couples, she is helpful, especially to long-term same gender couples who may have been together for a long time but haven't thought before about the financial and legal dimensions of marriage.
  • Central Baptist Theological Seminary (where our associate minister Bethany Meier is a student) has recently come under fire for its policies of fully accepting LGBTQ people.  Here is CBTS president Molly Marshal's response to the attack
You can find more stuff that I think is worth reading, watching and listening to by following me on Facebook and Twitter.

No comments: