United Church of Christ News
- Faith leaders to converge at Standing Rock against Dakota Access Pipeline
- "Our Faith Our Vote"--UCC video by Traci Blackmon, UCC Acting Executive Minister of Justice and Witness
Religion in America
- "How to Heal the Spiritual Pain of America"--Oh my goodness! This may be the best description of the maladies facing our nation that I have ever read.
Economic Justice When It Comes to Development in KCMO
- "Ignore whining over tax breaks by KC's economic development crowd"--Great column on the unjust tax breaks given to developers in KC.
- "Developers fear the power of critics could stall growth in KC area"--Proud to see CCCUCC member Jan Parks quoted in this article. She is leading the fight for economic justice in land development in KC.
- "'He Will Be Our Brother': Boy, 6, Asks Obama To Bring Syrian Boy To Live With Him"--you need to watch this video. America has a choice: respond to the refugee crisis with fear or with love and hope. Security is always a concern and never guaranteed, but there is a greater danger than terrorism--namely, that we lose the very soul of this nation.
- "Evangelicals Ignore G.O.P. by Embracing Syrian Refugees"--Fascinating article about conservative Christians helping resettle Syrian refugees contrary to declarations of conservative politicians.
9-11 Fifteen Years Later
- "Movies, patriotism, and cultural amnesia: tracing pop cultureâ€™s relationship to 9/11"--Interesting article using the lens of pop culture to examine how our country has and has not dealt with 9-11.
- "When It Comes to Baskets, Weâ€™re All Deplorable"--I don't really agree with J.D. Vance's politics but I often agree with what he writes and his general perspective. I agree with this one.
- "Receiver Chris Conley is emerging as a voice of conscience for the Chiefs"--I'm loving what Conley has to say.
- "Missouri: The Shoot-Me State"--NY Times editorial about the recently passed "Open Carry" law
Misc. Stuff I think is Cool
- "Modern Technology Unlocks Secrets of a Damaged Biblical Scroll"--Wow! Fascinating!
- "I lost my faith in God. Then I found it. Now itâ€™s complicated."-- Really interesting read. This is the story of so many people I encounter--some who attend my church. They've let go of the faith they grew up with but can't find a church that matches their religious experience.
- "How Apple Killed the Cyberpunk Dream"--I remain a fan of William Gibson's cyberpunk novels and short stories. This article uses them as a lens to ask what's the downside to Apple's new cordless world. It asks what happens when we can't jack out?
- "Everyone Misunderstood Brad Bird's The Iron Giant: It's Not About Guns. It's About Sin."--The Iron Giant is one of my favorites. Looks like the newly released scenes that weren't in the theatrical release sound like they make its message even more meaningful.
You can find more stuff that I think is worth reading, watching and listening to by following me on Facebook and Twitter.