Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Not in My Backyard

Now that I'm back in the Midwest, I perked up my ears this morning when I heard a story on NPR about social services in Des Moines. Growing up here in the Kansas City area I'm pretty sure that I had never gone to Des Moines. I still haven't really been there, but I did drive through it on the way out from NY. I was surprised at how close it is to my new home in St. Joe. Although the city is significantly larger, it is similar in a lot of ways to my new city--both have midwestern sensibilities, both have what could be called a downtown area and more suburban areas, both have significant needs in their communities in terms of poverty and homelessness.

I was interested to hear in the story--but not surprised--that folks in Des Moines want to keep things like homeless shelters in the downtown area and away from the suburbs--even though there is a growing need outside the city center. The "not in my backyard" syndrome is true of every city I've ever lived in. Everyone thinks there should be things like homeless shelters but nobody wants "those people" to be where they live. St. Joe is much smaller, but it will be interesting to find out whether or not the same dynamic is at work here.

Also, I noted the remakrs of one of the people interviewed who mentioned that many of the homeless and impoverished folks they work with lack the safety net of a family. This idea struck me, because over the last month, I have gained an even greater appreciation for my own family. We could not have made the move to MO with me recovering from surgery without the help of our families. It just could not have happened. The thought had occurred to me as to what exactly I would do without the help of my family. That's frightening to think about.

It seems obvious to me that one of the key roles of the church is to be family for those who do not have one--or who do not have a family willing or able to be there for them in times of need. One of the refrains I heard from folks when I interviewed for this position as minister was that First Christian is like a family. I've already seen evidence of that fact. I'm eager to see more of it and to discover new ways for us to be family together and for others who need one.

Grace and Peace,

Chase

No comments: