Thursday, February 1, 2007

U2-charist


Spend any time around me at all and you'll find out I'm a huge U2 fan. I love this band. I always have. I always will. Their mixture of great music, spirituality and social conscience feeds my soul. So far I've brainwashed my three year-old and he loves them. My four month-old is getting a steady dose as well.


Knowing this about me, my father-in-law sent me a story about how the Church of England has approved a worship service entirely based around U2 music. If you know their stuff, you already know how their lyrics are often blatantly about God, Jesus, the 'Spirit, etc. One of their signature songs, "40" is based on the 40th Psalm. It's all pretty amazing considering the among of popular success the band has had.


The worship service in the UK is designed to raise awareness of the Millennium Development Goals which were established as plans to alleviate extreme poverty around the world. You may remember Bono, the band's lead singer, lobbying world leaders to increase their debt relief for the world's poorest nations a few years back.


It's probably a little early for me to propose a worship service based on U2 songs here at my new church. Maybe I could do it for my second Sunday...hmmm...

No comments: