Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Some Observations About Worship--Dialogue Column 2.24.07

Through a Glass Darkly—Rev. Chase Peeples

It’s been two and a half months since I preached my first sermon at First Christian. That’s not a very long time in the life of a church. I still have much to learn about why things are the way they are around here, when and where certain things happen and what to expect next. I am, however, beginning to get a sense of what our weekly worship services mean to the life of our church. I would like to share with you some of what I have observed about our worship together.

I have observed that when First Christian folks are together in one room there is a lot of greeting one another and catching up on each other’s lives. Many folks try to make the effort to be a little early in order to chat with friends and acquaintances, and likewise there are a good number who remain after the service to talk. This is a good sign! It means that members of our church like each other and understand gathering together as a community is a means of maintaining relationships.

I have observed that people understand our worship services to be a time to share joys with people they care about. During the announcement time at the beginning of the service, I am pleased to hear people share about the latest concert they are participating in or the charity events they are leading. I am glad that we can share in each other’s successes and congratulate students who have received special honors and adults who have received professional and community awards. Such moments help build up our church by celebrating the gifts God has given each of us and recognizing the connections our church has with the community.

I have observed that worship at First Christian is understood as a time to seek support during difficult times from God and from one another. During the Prayers of the People, concerns are shared about friends and family struggling with medical problems, grief over loved ones who have passed away, and problems in our community, nation and world that trouble us. I sense that we draw strength from each other and from God during this time. I believe our burdens become easier to bear just by giving voice to them among people who care. I also believe that when we give voice to our pain and troubles God hears us, and that is especially true in worship.

I have observed that music matters to First Christian folks. I can tell that people find comfort in familiar hymns. It is also apparent that all present feel blessed by our wonderful choir, which far surpasses much larger choirs in talent and ability. We are fortunate as a church to be led in music by Amber Welter and Jeremy Gregoire. Jeremy’s stylings on the piano and organ set the right tone throughout the service and stir the soul at all the right times. Amber’s leadership of the choir and congregation in song, along with her own considerable vocal talent lift the spirit in the manner that only beautiful music can.

I have observed that at First Christian worship is a time to demonstrate that youth and children are valued. I am proud that our church actively seeks out youth to participate in worship through serving as acolytes, deacons and worship leaders, so that they can learn how to use their own talents in the life of the church. I am grateful that our church makes time for our children in worship, so that children can literally be a part of the church body not just in spirit but through physical presence in the same room. As a parent of two children, I am appreciative of Matthew Gregg’s evident concern for our children and his fun way of relating with them. It pleases me to know that my children will grow up always experiencing worship as a place they can know the love of God through the many adults who care for them.

I have observed that preaching matters to the people in our church. First Christian has a history of ministers with strong preaching skills. It is not up to me, however, to decide if I fit within that history. So far you have been very gracious to me in regards to my sermons, and if you have any strong complaints, you have kept them from me. My prayer each week is that my sermons would be inspiring and thought-provoking, as well as a comfort in times of difficulty and a motivation to stretch beyond personal comfort zones. It is an honor for me to share my reflections upon scripture, theology and culture each week.

I have observed that communion matters deeply to First Christian folks, as is only appropriate in a Disciples congregation—a church that dares to take the chalice as its symbol. First Christian takes seriously the command of Jesus to remember his sacrificial love for us, just as it takes seriously the grace of Christ by allowing all to come to the Lord’s table by partaking of the bread and cup. I sometimes wonder if you realize how radical an act of hospitality we are practicing as a church. If you have ever talked with someone who has been refused communion at a church of a different denomination, then you will realize just how painful such exclusion can be and just how wonderful it is to demonstrate the boundless love of Christ by including everyone.

I have more observations about worship at First Christian, but these are at least a beginning place for a healthy conversation about this essential part of our church life. During Lent, I issued a challenge for every church member who is physically and geographically able to attend worship to be present on Sundays. You responded, and we averaged over 100 in attendance each week. Attendance is always high on Easter, but it was higher this year. The last two Sundays have been a different story, however. Perhaps, I need to issue another challenge…

I am well aware that after the lingering cold of winter it is great to be outside and to travel. In no way would I begrudge or disparage such blessings. Also, I am aware of some of the struggles both physically and emotionally some folks have gone through in recent weeks, and I would encourage such people to take the time they need to care for themselves and their loved ones. For others, however, who are physically able to attend worship and who are in town, I wonder what is keeping you from being a part of our church’s worship service? I do not wish guilt or shame upon anyone for missing a church service, but I would hope that there would be at least a realization that during weeks when worship is missed something essential in life is also missing.

My prayer is for everyone who attends worship to find encouragement for life’s journey, strength to overcome life’s difficulties and the kind of meaning that can only come through an experience of the divine. I hope to see you next Sunday.

Grace and Peace,

Chase

No comments: