Monday, April 30, 2007

The St. Joseph News Press' Bible Verse of the Day

Since moving to St. Joseph, I've been intrigued by many things, one of which, is the fact that our home town newspaper has a Bible verse each day on the editorial page. I'm not sure if this is a holdover from the days when people were less sensitive to the fact that we live in a pluralistic society or what, but it's always an interesting read, especially since the verses are utterly and totally random.

I wonder if one of the interns puts on a blindfold each day and opens up a Bible randomly and picks a verse that his his finger happens to land on. Sure, sometimes its a verse from a psalm or something from one of Paul's letters that at least seems like in and of itself it could mean something, but just as often it is something from 2 Kings or somewhere else that has something to do with genealogy or who knows what.

Today's verse is an excellent case in point:

Destruction upon destruction is cried, for the whole land is spoiled; suddenly are my tents spoiled, and my curtains in a moment. Jeremiah 4:20

How often have I turned to this verse in my daily Bible reading for a little pick me up and encouragement. Nothing like the bitter and tragic destruction of ancient Jerusalem--including some dirty curtains--to make me feel like I'm closer to God and ready to take on the day.

Thanks News Press for aiding my spiritual life!

Grace and Peace,

Chase

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Hilarious! I know exactly what you mean Chase. As a matter of fact, I have thought that a few times at church when we have had passages from the Old Testament that are read without any background information and we are sort of left sitting wondering, "what in the world?"
Am glad by the way that you are having the readers give background info. now on the scripture readings. Nothing like context.