Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Facing Our Inner Fears


There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear
1 John 4:18 NRSV

One of the books that has most shaped my spiritual journey is Parker Palmer’s LetYour Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation.  In my years of ministry, I have routinely shared it with people discerning what kind of work they should go into or struggling with careers that have left them burnt out and empty inside.  It’s a short book, and one could easily read it in an afternoon, although reflection upon its words takes much longer.

In one of its later chapters (you can read the entire chapter here, but I recommend reading the chapters that lead up to it first), Palmer writes about the kind of spiritual work we resist the most: examining the shadow sides of ourselves.  Any worthwhile spiritual journey “will take us inward and downward, toward the hardest realities of our lives, rather than outward and upward toward abstraction, idealization, and exhortation. . . Why must we go in and down? Because as we do so, we will meet the darkness that we carry within ourselves—the ultimate source of the shadows that we project onto other people. If we do not understand that the enemy is within, we will find a thousand ways of making someone ‘out there’ into the enemy.”

Palmer illustrates this truth with a story from his own life.  He attended a week-long experience with Outward Bound and found himself at the top of a cliff side about to rappel down.  It was the challenge he feared most.  He stepped off the cliff and immediately slammed into a ledge a few feet down. 
The instructor explained, The only way to do this is to lean back as far as you can. You have to get your body at right angles to the cliff so that your weight will be on your feet. It’s counter-intuitive, but it’s the only way that works.” 

Palmer writes, “I knew that he was wrong, of course. I knew that the trick was to hug the mountain, to stay as close to the rock face as I could. So I tried it again, my way—and slammed into the next ledge. 

The instructor explained things once again, and slowly Palmer leaned back and began inching down the cliff side.  At the halfway point, the instructor at the bottom of the cliff alerted Palmer to a hole in the cliff side he was headed for which meant he must change the course he had worked so hard to find. 

Palmer describes what happened next.
     I knew for a certainty that attempting to do so would lead directly to my death—so I froze,      paralyzed with fear. The second instructor let me hang there, trembling, in silence for what seemed like a very long time.
Finally, she shouted up these helpful words: “Parker, is anything wrong?” To this day, I do not know where my words came from, though I have twelve witnesses to the fact that I spoke them. In a high, squeaky voice I said, “I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Then,” said the second instructor, “it’s time that you learned the Outward Bound motto.”
“Oh, keen,” I thought. “I’m about to die, and she’s going to give me a motto!”

But then she shouted ten words I hope never to forget, words whose impact and meaning I can still feel: “If you can’t get out of it, get into it!”

Then Palmer describes the miracle that happened next:

“I had long believed in the concept of “the word become flesh” but until that moment I had not experienced it. My teacher spoke words so compelling that they bypassed my mind, went into my flesh, and animated my legs and feet. No helicopter would come to rescue me; the instructor on the cliff would not pull me up with the rope; there was no parachute in my backpack to float me to the ground. There was no way out of my dilemma except to get into it—so my feet started to move and in a few minutes I made it safely down.”

The fears we carry within us too often leave us paralyzed on a cliff side or trying to climb back up the cliff.  We will do almost anything to avoid the difficult work of facing our fears and trusting God will help us move past them.  Our refusals to “get into” the fears we cannot avoid causes great harm to ourselves and those around us, especially those whom we love most.

Palmer writes, “there is no way out of one’s inner life, so one had better get into it. On the inward and downward spiritual journey, the only way out is in and through.”
Loving God, help me to face the fears I most want to avoid.  Help me to trust that on the other side of my fear lies freedom and relief.  Amen.

Grace and peace,
Chase




No comments: