Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Ahoy Mates! (eye surgery results)


Well, I'm back from surgery and I'm considering seriously the suggestion of one of my friends to get a really cool eye patch with flames on it or a skull and bones or something. Maybe the Disciples of Christ makes one with a chalice, hmmm.

Anyway, below is the e-mail I sent out to friends and family giving the details of what happened today.


Hey friends and family,
Thanks for the many kind e-mails and phone calls. I've learned a new appreciateion for the support and prayers of loved ones during this ordeal.
The fact that I'm able to write an e-mail the same day as my surgery should give you an idea that so far things are going easier than last time. I'm not laying on my face for two weeks nor am I in anything like the same kind of pain as last time. I'm not even sleeping off anesthesia.
Unlike last time when they gave me general anesthesia and put me all the way under, this time I arrived for surgery and they let me know that it was just going to be loca lanesthesia. Only my eye would be numbed. So they gave me just enough of the good stuff to knock me out for five minutes in order for them to give me the shot just under the eye (ewwwwww!)/
Once I woke up, I was alert through the whole process. I only felt a little bit of pain from the lazers and then from the stitching. It was disconcerting to say the least to be awake while they're poking around in my eye, however, it was even more unnerving to hear the doctor and nurses talking about the weather, sports, current events, etc. while they're doin gsurgery on my eye--FOCUS PEOPLE FOCUS!
At the moment, I have bandages over the right side of my face and I'll know more about my condition tomorrow when the doctor takes them off at his office. By all reports, things went as well as possible today. I am not looking forward to the prospect of being unable to drive or even see well for the next six months or more, but I guess I'll deal with that as it comes. What is more worrying to me is the possibility of never getting my vision back to what it was and therefore being unable to drive. I was hoping to make it at least 30 more years before Jen was forced to drive me around everywhere. I'm just not sure how that's going to work with family and jobresponsibilities. I'll just keep praying for thebest, I guess.
In any case, I feel there is much to be thankful for today. I am really glad to be more or less functioning so soon after surgery and I'm glad the immediate recovery inolves nothing on the scale of last time. I am also extremely grateful for friends and family who care for me. Your prayers, love energies and Reiki healing energy waves mean a lot and I hope you'll keep them coming in whatever form your prayers take. I'll keep you updated as new developments arise.
Grace and Peace,
Chase

No comments: