Sunday, February 4, 2007

Things left out of my sermon today

Well, today was my first sermon as minister of First Christian Church of St. Joseph and so far so good. Nobody tried to run me out of town. As things got going, I got in the groove and moved away from the pulpit and from my notes. That was fine, except I did leave one part out that I wish I had remembered.

In regards to how Jesus hung out with dispreputable types--the type of folks good religious people want nothing to do with, I've always liked a line in a song by the Dave Matthews Band. One one of their early albums--I think it was Remember Two Things--(it was also on the compilation album A Very Special Christmas 3--see pic) they had a song called simply "Christmas Song." It is a rather remarkable song considering that to my knowledge Dave Matthews and his bandmates are not Christians. It's a beautiful song and at my last church I always played it for the youth around Christmastime. The line I'm thinking of goes.

So I'm told, so the story goes

The people he knew wereLess than golden hearted

Gamblers and robbers

Drinkers and jokers, all soul searchers

Like you and me

Rumors insisted that he soon would be

For his deveations taken into custody

By the authorities, less informed than he

Drinkers and jokers, all soul searchers

Searching for love, love, love

Love, love, love

Love, love was all around.




So, I guess I blew my chance to score some relevance points with the youth in the church, although I'm wondering if teenagers ae even listening to Dave Matthews Band anymore. Maybe I'm just not hip to what the kids are into these days....


Anyway, all you drinkers, gamblers, drinkers, jokers and soul searchers, that's all for now.


Peace,

Chase

No comments: